Wednesday 2 April 2014

Walls of South Wales


Sorry if I confused you. I'm not talking about ice-cream but the walls which form barriers between places or rooms. Walls are generally ignored and taken for granted, but if you think logically, without them our great buildings could not exist. Stay with me, please, I do have a point I'm trying to get to.



Today the world moves at a tremendous speed. Everyone rushing around going here, doing that, seeing this, and texting about it at the same time. Because of this many of us suffer with stress and that's where 

coal face
walls come in. Do you lie in bed with ideas and thoughts rushing around your head, unable to sleep. Well I read once that you should think of a brick wall. I tried that but ended up counting the bricks, a never-ending task with a never-ending wall. Not very conducive for a goods night's sleep.



But then I remembered a wall I had seen in Madeira. Water seeped down from the luxuriously watered lawn above it. Amongst the stones of the wall small flowers had blossomed as well as mosses and lichens. It was beautiful. This is the wall I think of when I can't sleep. It forms a barrier between me and all the things I feel I should be doing or worrying about.






This made me think of all the walls I have photographed whilst wandering around Wales. (Doesn't everyone?)




I couldn't resist this one, although not in South Wales
Two walls in "the drains" of Sorrento, Italy, painted to look like cathedral arches.
Really! These are flat walls.
A 2nd pic showing a little of the paint wearing off with the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment