Wednesday 21 August 2013

Liberty Bodice

To some younger readers the term "liberty bodice," may not mean anything. But to older generations it brings back memories of rubber buttons and fleecy lined cotton.

Image from Victoria & Albert Museum site
My liberty bodices were worn during the time I attended Infants School.  I gazed at the teachers smooth flat sweaters and felt jealousy and embarrassment.  When I looked at my front it was lumpy and bumpy from the series of rubber buttons cascading down the front of my liberty bodice, hidden underneath.  The one in the picture opposite doesn't have buttons at the bottom edge.  Mine did!
I often wondered whether they were supposed to be buttoned to your nickers or somewhere.  I never did find out.  If anyone out there knows, please contact me.

Chepstow Museum (NP16 5LH) is holding an exhibition showing the story of R & WH Symington & Co. Ltd. the corsetry manufacturer who was responsible for developing this (useful?) garment.  Produced from 1908 until 1960s the liberty bodice was very much like Marmite - you loved them or hated them.

The exhibition is open at the moment and until 6th October, Monday to Saturday 10.30am to 5.30pm and Sundays from 2pm to 5.30pm. Admission free.


Victoria & Albert Museum

Chepstow Museum



 

No comments:

Post a Comment